Sunday, March 3, 2013

REVIEW: Confessions of a New York Taxi Driver by Eugene Salomon

TITLE: Confessions of a New York Taxi Driver
AUTHOR: Eugene Salomon
PUBLISHED: Jan 2013
GENRE: non-fiction, memoir
SETTING: New York City
WHERE I GOT IT: Library borrow
READ FROM: February 25 to march 03, 2013

ABOUT BLURB: Eugene Salomon has been a New York Taxi Driver for more then 30 years. This book is him sharing some of his most memorable moments on the job.

MY THOUGHTS:
I found this book to be very interesting and I liked that each chapter was fairly short. I never really thought about the different type of people a taxi driver must come across on any given day, especially not in a city as big and as busy as New York City. I found all of the stories interesting and a lot of them made me smile. I was shocked to learn that people would even have sex in the back of his cab while he was driving them to their destination. I've been in New York taxi cabs before so that thought just makes me shudder. Salomon did point out that there are about 30,000+ taxi cabs in New York now at any given time so hopefully I wasn't in one of them. That number is just so hard for me to fathom though. That is a lot of taxi cabs!

This was a fun and entertaining read. I don't know how he could be in that field for as long as he did. From my experience working in retail it only takes one crappy customer to ruin your whole day. But then again I guess you never have a dull moment as a taxi driver no matter what city or town you are working in.


Reading this book makes me really want to watch the TV show Taxi that was on in the late 70's early 80's with Danny Devito, Judd Hirsch, Tony Danza etc. I was pretty young when it was originally on, but after reading this book I think it would be fun to watch again.  

RATING: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment